07x01 - Bizarro

All episode transcripts (season 1-10) for the TV show "Smallville". Aired: October 2001 to May 2011.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A young Clark Kent struggles to find his place in the world as he learns to harness his alien powers for good and deals with the typical troubles of teenage life in Smallville.

07x01 - Bizarro

Post by bunniefuu »

"Bizarro"

Original Air Date on September 27th, 2007

A boy and his dad are fly fishing in a river, upstream from Reeves Dam.

Boy: Dad, how long are we staying here? There's no fish.

Father: This is the best fishing spot on Earth. They'll come, okay. Just toss your line two more times.

Their dog, standing nearby, senses a rumble off in the distance before they hear it, as Reeves Dam breaks upstream.

In the tunnels near Reeves Dam, Lois is dragging Chloe through the water and rubble. Chloe still appears ashen white.

Lois: Hang on, Chlo. I'll get us out of here.

Outside the dam, Lex is sitting in a police cruiser whent the dam breaks and water completely engulfs the bridge he is on, plunging him and the police cruiser into the torrent.

Off in the forrest, Clark gets up and looks around for Bizarro, who is still in pursuit. Bizarro flies in and stands above Clark.

Clark: Those people. I have to get back to the dam.

Bizarro kicks Clark, who flies across the forrest floor and into a huge boulder, breaking it.

Bizarro: Hey, Clark. You ever wonder what would happen to all these humans if you weren't here to play savior? I know you do. You just never admit it.

Clark: You don't know anything about me.

Bizarro: No, Clark. I know everything about you. I didn't just borrow your DNA. I have all your memories, all your thoughts, every last twisted one of them. When I'm living your life, I won't make those same mistakes.

Bizarro advances on Clark, but when he steps into a shaft of sunlight, his face reverts to his cracked, broken visage and as he punches at Clark, Clark is easily able to stop him and when he punches back at Bizarro, Clark sends him flying off into the distance. Off in the distance, Clark hears the rush of water roaring through the forrest and hurries to head it off.

The father and son who are fishing hear the rumbling coming their way and after a moment, the wall of water breaks through the treeline and heads straight for them.

Boy: Dad?

Father: Run! C'mon son!

They start to run but the father trips and hits his head on a large rock, knocking him unconscious.

Boy: Dad! Dad! Wake up! Dad! Dad, wake up! Run! Dad!

Clark rushes to them and uses his heat vision and super speed to neutralize the rushing water, vaporizing it in an instant. Clark checks out the boy and his father, then super speeds away.

Boy: Whoa.

Back at the dam, Lex is trapped in the police cruiser, now at the bottom of the river, with just a small sliver of an air pocket left to breathe in. He struggles at the door, his hands still handcuffed, but he can't budge it. Once the water overtakes him, he looks out the window, waiting for the end. Instead, a short distance away he sees the angelic figure of a woman, swathed in a white cloth and surrounded by the glowing rays of sunlight. He looks up at her, and for a moment she looks back at him.

Out in the forrest, Bizarro has landed and been impaled on a section of a huge powerline tower. He wakes up suddenly when a truck pulls up to the base of the tower. Bizarro removes the piece of steel sticking through his abdomen and jumps down to meet the man coming to help him.

Man: Hey buddy, you alright?

Without warning, Bizarro uses his heat vision to set the man on fire, k*lling him. After a moment, his face distorts again.

Back at the dam, Lois is still carrying Chloe through the tunnels and trying to find a way out. She stops at a door with a large window in it. She sets Chloe down and looks through the window to see dozens of bodies floating in the water beyond - these appear to be the bodies of Lex's 33.1 army candidates. Behind her, a little boy grasps her hand, startling her.

Boy: Help me, please.

Lois: Hey. It's okay.

They eye each other uneasily.

Elsewhere in the tunnels, Clark is running and calling out for Lionel.

Clark: Lionel!?!

He stops at the last place he saw Lionel, but he is nowhere to be found. Cut to outside the dam where Lionel is lying unconscious amongst the rocks and debris on the side of the river. A man wearing a black trench coat strides up and grasps Lionel, dragging him away.

Back in the tunnels, Lois now has Chloe and the boy to deal with, and still can't see a way out.

Lois: Help! Can anybody hear us?!

Boy: Is she dead?

Lois: No, honey. She's not dead. She's just... a little hurt. [ Lois pulls at some of the debris, trying to dig her way out, but it won't budge. ] Help! Help!

The debris around her suddenly collapses and light pours in as Lois sees it is Clark standing on the other side.

Lois: How did you do ...

Clark: The ceiling's unstable. We're lucky it caved in.

Lois: Oh, let's not wait to get lucky again.

Clark sees Chloe lying motionless.

Clark: Chloe? Chloe?

Back at the farm, Bizarro has found Clark's piece of Kryptonite in the lead box, and he uses this to heal himself, his wounds closing up as he presses the Kryptonite to his skin.

Out on the river, Lex wakes up on the riverbank, with the same woman standing over him. She looks down at him, and after a moment, she flies into the sky as Lex can only watch.

Chloe is being brought into the Emergency room and prepped by a doctor and several nurses.

Doctor: Unit of O-neg, run a cross and type match. Start an arterial line. Inflate gases. Prep for a chest tube now, stat.

Nurse: Chest tube, let's go, let's go.

Out in the hallway, Lois is pacing.

Clark: Lois. You want to tell me what happened out there?

Lois: It's gonna sound insane. I don't know, Clark. Maybe I was unconscious and dreaming.

Clark: Maybe you weren't.

Lois: The last thing I remember, I was pulling an eight-inch knife out of my gut, and there was blood everywhere. I dialed Chloe, and I had this... this chill, and my hands started to tingle, and then I must have passed out.

Clark: So someone stabbed you?

Lois: A guard ... right here. [ She pulls up her shirt to reveal her unmarked stomach. ] I know. But there was this warm light all around me. And when I woke up, the wound was healed and Chloe was lying a few feet away, unconscious.

Clark: You said that Lex may have been doing some experiments down there.

Lois: When I was out, maybe one of his men did something to me... and Chloe. That's it. I can't just stand around here waiting.

Clark: Where are you going?

Lois: I'm going to see what Lex did to her.

Clark: Lex? Lex is dangerous.

Lois: I am not stupid, Smallville, okay? I know that he's not just gonna cough up all his deep, dark secrets. But you heard the doctors. None of Chloe's vitals were normal. If someone at the mansion knows what happened, I will take my chances with Dr. Evil. Maybe Lana can help me do some digging.

Clark: Lois, um... [ Sighs ] ...there's something you should know.

Lois: If this is another heart-to-heart about Lana, I don't mean to be insensitive, but Chloe is fighting for her life, and I am barely keeping it together, so one more ounce of emotion ... I might just lose it. So make yourself useful for once. Just stay here and make sure nothing happens to my cuz, okay?

Lex is sitting at his desk, calmly thinking.

Woman: Mr. Luthor, the helicopter's waiting. We should have you out of U.S. jurisdiction in two hours.

Lex: I was dead. And there was this light. And an angel. Why would she save me... after all I've done?

Woman: [ To two security men ] Lock down the perimeter. Secure the stairwell. The only thing getting in or out of here is that chopper. Sir, you're wanted for your wife's m*rder. We need you to hurry.

Lex: Her soft skin... and her hair... that half-awake smile when she saw me come in like... she didn't know if she was still in a dream. She was the only thing I was living for.

Woman: I'm sorry for your loss, sir. But right now we need to get you airborne. Police will be here any minute.

Lex: I'm well aware of that. I'm turning myself in.

Lois waltzes into Lex's study.

Lois: [ Sighs ] Okay.

When she turns to close the double-doors behind her, then turns back towards the desk, Bizarro is standing there.

Lois: Whoa! Smallville, you scared me.

Bizarro: Where have you been hiding?

Bizarro is leering at Lois as she speaks.

Lois: Uh, maybe where I told you I'd be. Although I got zilch. Lex's men must have cleared everything out before the cops came.

She turns around to see him still gawking at her.

Lois: Hey! Hey. Why aren't you watching Chloe?

He advances on her, getting very close.

Bizarro: Man, how can a guy miss what's been right in front of him all this time?

He eases around her, coming up from behind until he is whispering right into her ear.

Lois: Slow down there, tiger. A little personal-space breach.

Bizarro: Come on, I know you're looking for a guy who doesn't play by the rules.

Lois: [ Chuckles ] And on what planet is that you, Smallville?

Bizarro: Whatever planet you want me to take you to.

He reaches down and grabs her rear-end, as she jumps in surprise.

Lois: Whoa, hey!

She turns and slaps him hard across the face, but he never loses his determined grin. After a moment, he smiles and walks toward the door.

Bizarro: Maybe next time.

Doctor: Where's my 1 mil of epinephrine?

Nurse: I'm on it. [ Monitor beeping ] It's in. [ After a moment ] She's not responding.

Doctor: Check that monitor. Those readings aren't possible.

The monitor beeps rapidly, then flatlines.

Doctor: We've got atrial fibrillation. Charge the defib. I need 200 joules. Come on, Chloe. Pump it up.

Doctor: New charge. Clear. Come on, Chloe. Stay with me. Clear.

The doctor shocks Chloe several times but she does not respond. After a moment, it's clear that Chloe is gone.

Doctor: Time of death 13:48.

In the morgue, Chloe is in a drawer when her eyes open. She is startled and disoriented, and looks around in a panic before she starts yelling.

Chloe: Help! Help! Somebody help me!

Out in the hospital hallway, Clark sees the doctor coming, looking for Lois and knows it doesn't look good.

Clark: No.

Doctor: Where's Miss Lane?

Clark: She just left. Chloe's gonna be okay, isn't she?

Doctor: I'm sorry, son, I can't share any information with you until we've notified Miss Sullivan's immediate family.

Clark recoils at this and heads for the room where Chloe was being worked on.

Clark: No. No.

Female doctor: That's a restricted area.

Male doctor: Get him out.

Nurse: You can't be in here.

Clark bursts into the room to find the medical team working on someone else.

Clark: Where's Chloe Sullivan?

Nurse: She didn't make it. I'm sorry.

Clark recoils again, stumbling backwards into the hallway. His sense are overloaded as his emotions swell, drowning in the sights and sounds of the hospital ward. In the mix of sounds, he can hear Chloe's calls for help and this focuses his attention.

Chloe: Clark! Somebody help me! Help!

He speeds off to the morgue and rips the door off of the morgue drawer and pulls the drawer out with Chloe on it. She is disoriented and in a state of panic.

Clark: It's okay. It's okay.

Chloe: What hap...? [ She looks around ] Am I in a morgue?

Clark: Come on, let's get you out ...

Chloe: [ Loudly ] Why am I in a morgue?!?

Clark: You're alive. That's what matters now.

It dawns on her what has happened.

Chloe: But I wasn't alive, was I? [ She remembers what happened to Lois ] Lois.

Clark: Lois is fine. I'm guessing you know that better than anyone.

Chloe: Turn around.

Clark: She showed me her s*ab wound, the one that didn't leave a scratch.

Chloe: I thought I had the market on resurrections today.

Clark: Lois said that one of Lex's guys may have done something to you when you were out. You want to tell me what really happened?

Chloe: Clark, as much as I would love to contribute to Lois' divine-intervention story, I was a little busy being unconscious.

Clark: Chloe, c'mon...

Chloe: Clark, I don't have time for 20 questions right now. I gotta get out of here.

Clark: You just died and came back to life. Don't you think you should have your blood pressure taken?

Chloe: And get turned into some sort of lab rat? From one guinea pig to another, I think I'll pass.

Chloe sees a chart on the table with her name on it - it is her death certificate. She yanks it off the chart, then pulls off the autopsy request below it. Beneath that, she finds another death certificate - for Lana Lang. She looks at this in shock, then back at Clark.

In a jail cell, Lex's lawyer stands holding a mini-recorder with Lex's last conversation with Lana.

Lana: [ On audio tape ] Clark means more to me than you ever will. [ Slap ] [ Gasps ] That's the last time you'll ever touch me.

Lex: [ On audio tape ] Do you really think I could just let you walk away?

Lana: [ On audio tape ] What are you going to do, Lex? k*ll me?

Keating: [ He stops the tape ] With evidence like that, I doubt we'd be able to get you bail.

Lex: I'm not worried about me. I want an update on the recovery efforts at the dam, and more specifically I need to know the status of model 503.

Keating: Most of the compromised units have been recovered, but we're still looking for 503.

Lex: My father?

Keating: Still unaccounted for. Sir, we have to find you an alibi.

Lex: I wasn't miraculously saved to run away from my demons, Keating. I was brought back to face them.

Bizarro shows up at the jail cell, rips off the door and walks in.

Bizarro: Be careful what you wish for. I looked for you at the mansion.

Bizarro walks up to Keating and sticks his hand into the man's abdomen, then rips out some internal organs and tosses them aside, as the man falls lifeless at his feet.

Lex: The phantom. You took Clark's body.

Bizarro: Just a few cells. Clark's still alive. He's out there. And you will help me k*ll him. I need meteor rocks ... a lot of them.

Lex: I'd never help you k*ll Clark.

Bizarro: Lex, redemption doesn't suit you. Why protect a Clark Kent who hates you, when you can help the one who wants to be your ally? It's what you've always wanted. Isn't it, Lex?
Chloe is sitting in her apartment, crying as she watches videos of her and Lana on her laptop.

Lana: Chloe, put down the camera and look at the...

Chloe: [ On video ] Whoa!

Lana: [ On video ] Chloe, the Empire State Building is just around the corner...

Chloe: [ On video ] Ooh, ooh, let's follow him, Mr. Buns of Steel. [ Laughing ]

Lana: [ On video ] Chloe, he's watching you now.

Chloe: [ On video ] Whoa! [ Laughing ]

Lana: [ On video ] Next time, we are taking a taxi... [ more laughing ]

Clark: Chloe?

Chloe: Hey. [ Sobbing ] Oh, it's really hard to concentrate when Lana was here one minute and now she's just... I'm so sorry, Clark.

She gets up and puts her arms around Clark and for a moment they just hold each other.

Clark: There's a lot more people that could get hurt right now.

Chloe: Yeah. [ Collecting herself ] Denial should be our friend right now. Okay, so, this phantom-Clark thing was inhabiting humans. But when he touched you, it just replicated. Why?

Clark: The phantom needed a Kryptonian body in order to replicate to become whole again. Chloe, I don't know how to stop him. It's not like I can just fly after him.

Chloe: This guy can fly? God, Clark. You gotta get on that one. Well, where's our Bizarro Clark now?

Clark: I don't know. But, Chloe, before I hit him, his face distorted, almost like he was hurt.

Chloe: Which is why he pushed pause on his one-man mission to k*ll you. But... why would your doppelganger weaken if you didn't?

Clark: It's like everything affects him the opposite. When Lionel held the meteor rock to him, it almost made him stronger.

Chloe: So maybe he went to find more meteor rocks so he could recharge and finish the job he started.

Clark: You know, Oliver's been tracking all of Lex's meteor shipments for his 33.1 experiments.

Chloe: Yeah, and it says here in these records that there were several containers transferred to Reeves Dam just a couple weeks ago. Clark, if he gets there before you do, there's no way you can go up against him alone. I mean, how are you gonna take this guy down?

Clark: I don't know, Chloe. But there is someone who might.

Clark stands in the loft with the Martian Manhunter.

Clark: When you left here, you were hurt pretty badly. How did you heal so fast?

Martian Manhunter: I just had to leave the Earth's atmosphere. But in my absence, it appeared you did exactly what you were always trying to prevent.

Clark: I unleashed a carbon copy of myself... only without my ...

Martian Manhunter: Humanity.

Clark: What was I supposed to do, let him k*ll every host he inhabited?

Martian Manhunter: That is one of the hardest trials you will face, Kal-El. While your humanity is your greatest strength, it is also your greatest vulnerability.

Clark: Well, it's part of who I am. And it's who I want to be. I'm proud that I was raised to care about people, and I am not gonna apologize for it anymore.

Martian Manhunter: I know. But this creature was discarded at birth as a poor imitation. He was shown no compassion, no conscience. Therefore, he has none. He knows only one thing ... survival.

Clark: How do I stop someone who has all my powers and none of my weaknesses?

Martian Manhunter: By opening your eyes to what you take for granted every day. Your faith in humans is not the only thing that gives you strength.

Clark: The yellow sun. That's why his face distorted when he got into the light.

Martian Manhunter: That may be the only way to defeat him. I can help, but it is your battle.

Lex is leading Bizarro into a section of the underground laboratory complex.

Lex: The section of the dam where the meteor rock is stored shouldn't have been compromised. The meteor rocks are in there.

He points towards a door, then as Bizarro walks towards it, Lex picks up a rather nasty looking r*fle, pointing it at Bizarro

Lex: I may have tracked you around the globe, but clearly you're not a native. Where are you from, and why did you only replicate Clark?

Bizarro: Now you got a decision to make, Lex. What's more important ... destroying me or solving the mystery of Clark Kent?

Bizarro speeds around Lex and grabs the g*n, then shoves Lex across the room where he falls heavily into some metal piping.

Bizarro: Wrong decision.

Bizarro rips the door off of the room, which is filled to capacity with Kryptonite, just as Clark speeds in behind him. As he walks into the small room, Bizarro starts to absorb the Kryptonite, finally turning all of the rocks to a neutral white color. He steps out of the room to face Clark.

Bizarro: You had the existence I could only dream of, every pleasure at your disposal, and you wasted it. You don't deserve this life, Clark. But I do.

Clark looks at him uneasily, then rushes at him with a huge round-house punch. Before he can land it, Bizarro puts two fists into Clark's chest, sending him flying backwards and crashing through a pillar on the other side of the room. Clark is hurt and unconscious, but the broken pillar allows the sunlight to come in from the outside, surrounding him. Seeing this Bizarro leaves him. After a moment, Clark stirs and as he steps into the sunlight, his wounds heal and his strength returns.

Clark: Hey! [ Bizarro stops and smiles, then turns around slowly ] Is that all you got?

Bizarro: You're no match for my strength.

Bizarro swings and connects with Clark, but Clark is unphased by the punch and turns right back around to face him. Then Clark gathers his own strength and upper-cuts Bizarro with a tremendous punch, sending him flying out of the building and up into the sky. As he climbs into the atmosphere, Bizarro seems to come apart, revealing the greenish glow of Kryptonite at his core. A red streak flies across the sky - the Martian Manhunter grabs him and escorts him out into space and beyond. Back on the ground, Clark smiles to himself.

Clark is sitting in his living room, listening to a small radio and looking sullen.

Radio news reporter: [ On the radio ] The fairy-tale marriage of Lana Lang to Lex Luthor ended in tragedy. Sources say the billionaire is the prime suspect in the expl*si*n that cut short such a vibrant young life...

Chloe walks into the house.

Chloe: Clark?

Radio news reporter: Police say Lang's vehicle exploded upon ignition in what was believed to be a car b*mb behind a local coffeehouse. According to wire services, a funeral date has yet to be set. Although no witnesses have come forward, Lex Luthor was apprehended near Reeves Dam, which was the source of the recent flooding... Lionel Luthor is unaccounted for...

Chloe: I know you wanted to be alone, but... I thought I'd come by and see if I could get more than two words out of you.

Clark: Thanks, Chloe. I think I'll take a rain check.

Chloe: Yeah, well, I guess you deserve a little bit of peace and quiet after sending the evil bobbsey twin to the sunny side of Mars.

Clark: Who's to say he's any more evil than I am?

Chloe: [ Scoffs ] Unless you have a second secret identity that I don't know about, I...

Clark: Chloe, when I heard about Lana, I went to find Lex. And I wasn't gonna let him leave there alive. The irony is I think it was the first time I ever really understood Lex. Loving someone is hard. It's difficult. But hate ... hate is so... clean.

Chloe: Maybe you need to feel this right now. I mean, anger is a natural human emotion.

Clark: Well, that's just it. 'Cause when that phantom was trying to k*ll me and I was staring into my own eyes, I saw the monster that I could become if I wanted to. It was a reminder that I am not human.

Chloe: Tell that to every person you've ever saved. Clark, whether you want to see it or not, you're one of us now. And the fact that you're from a galaxy far, far away just... adds character. And you know I'm here, no matter what side of nature or nurture happens to be winning out.

Clark: It goes both ways, Chloe. Whatever happened in that dam, you ended up in a morgue.

Chloe: Yeah, it was nothing.

Clark: I'm just saying that when you're ready ...

Chloe: Thanks.

Lois walks into the house.

Lois: Clark, there you are. I forgive you.

Clark: For what?

Lois: Don't make me relive it - it was traumatizing enough the first time around. And by the way, you've got some explaining to do there, Missy.

Clark: Lois, I'm sorry.

Lois: I know you are. And I know you didn't mean it. You were just in shock. I heard about Lana on the news. [ She hugs him tenderly ] Clark, I'm so sorry. Look, all I can say is... at first you don't know how you'll ever make it through, but somehow you do. Just trust me on this one. But if you ever grab my ass again, I will be taking your head with me when I go. Okay?

Clark looks at Chloe, who can only chuckle.

In the loft, later that evening.

Martian Manhunter: Your father would be proud. He did everything he could to prepare you. But bravery is not something you can learn.

Clark: How much bravery does it take when you're getting pummeled?

Martian Manhunter: Kal-El... you could have ignored all the phantoms that escaped the Phantom Zone, but you chose to take responsibility and stop them, even one more powerful than you.

Clark: In a weird way, he may have been right. Maybe I have allowed myself to become weak, caring too much about everything, everyone here.

Martian Manhunter: You've learned a lot from your time in Smallville. These people have made you who you are.

Clark: They won't always be here. Losing Lana has made me realize no matter how close I get, someday they'll all be gone. And all the time that I've spent ignoring my destiny, trying to be something I'll never be... human.

Back in her apartment, Chloe flicks a lighter and sets her death certificate on fire, tossing it into the sink as it burns.

Lex walks down the hallway of a jail, a guard at his side. He's put into a cell and sits down on the small bed, staring idly ahead. He takes a small picture of him and Lana out of his pocket.

The scene shifts to Shanghai, China. The camera pans across a huge courtyard of people, then zooms in on one in particular - it is Lana Lang, striding confidently in a blonde wig. She gets back to her apartment and pulls off the wig and looks around her apartment. She walks to the window and looks up at the moon in the sky.

The scene shifts again to the same view of the moon from the other side of the world, as Clark stares out of the loft.

Another shift, to the top of the water tower in Smallville, where the young woman that saved Lex - Kara - is sitting. She takes a silver bracelet out of a small bag and puts it on her wrist. She stands, looks out across the town, then takes off in flight, swinging back around and flying towards the camera.

End