10x02 - The Three Doctors - part 2

Episode transcripts for the 1963 classic TV show "Doctor Who". Aired November 23, 1963 to December 6, 1989. (First to Seventh Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

What began as an encounter in a London junkyard in 1963 was to become a national institution in the United Kingdom. The crotchety old man - a renegade Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey - who calls himself "The Doctor" has regenerated several times, traveling with several companions for over five decades.
NuWho   Specials  

10x02 - The Three Doctors - part 2

Post by bunniefuu »

THE THREE DOCTORS

EPISODE TWO

By Bob Baker and Dave Martin

6th January, 1973
5:50pm - 6:15pm

INT. TARDIS

SECOND DOCTOR: Steady now, Sergeant, he knows what he's doing! At least I hope he does.

BENTON: Yes, but what about Jo?

SECOND DOCTOR: Yes, it's a pity she ran after him like that. Let's have a look, shall we?

BENTON: Will they be all right? Where are they? Doctor?

SECOND DOCTOR: As far as I can see, that stuff's gone to a great deal of trouble to find me, er, him, so whoever or whatever it was that sent it can't merely want to k*ll him. No, no, they've been transported somewhere.

BENTON: Transported? What do you mean, transported? Transported to where?

SECOND DOCTOR: No, wait a minute. Do you know, Sergeant, I think our friend has gone off the boil, so to speak.

BENTON: Right then. Now I'm going to take this chance to blow it to bits. I'll get a grenade. We'll soon see

SECOND DOCTOR: No, I think we could try a more subtle approach. Let's turn off the force field and open the doors first, shall we?

BENTON: Right.

SECOND DOCTOR: Wait a minute. Let me go first.

INT. UNIT LABORATORY

(They emerge carefully into the laboratory.)

SECOND DOCTOR: Hmm. Awaiting further instructions, I would think.

(It bristles at them and they retreat back to the TARDIS, then emerge slowly again.)

BENTON: You're not going near that thing, Doctor, are you?

SECOND DOCTOR: It's all right. I think it was just hiccups. Fascinating.

(He moves closer.)

(The Brigadier runs in as the blob bristles again.)

BRIGADIER: For heaven's sake be careful, Doctor!

EXT. UNIT LABORATORY

SECOND DOCTOR: No, no, Brigadier. Leave it alone. It's not dangerous for the moment. It seems to think it's achieved its mission.

(The Brigadier does a double-take.)

BRIGADIER: Oh, no.

SECOND DOCTOR: Oh, yes.

BRIGADIER: Yes, but you're not the

BENTON: Yes, it is, sir. It's the first one.

SECOND DOCTOR: How are you, Brigadier?

BRIGADIER: Pretty well, thanks. Doctor, what the blazes are you doing? Why have you changed your appearance? And what's happened to Miss Grant?

(The black hole's beam deposits the others in a quarry. Then we go right back to the lab.)

SECOND DOCTOR: There you are. It's all quite simple really.

BRIGADIER: Yes, well, I'm sorry. Well, I don't believe a word of it. Look, just tell me this. Are you or are you not the Doctor that I met during the Yeti business, and then later when the Cybermen invaded?

SECOND DOCTOR: Of course I am. You can see that.

BRIGADIER: Right. But then you subsequently appeared on Earth during that trouble with the Autons, only then you'd changed into a tall, thin fellow.

SECOND DOCTOR: Had I really? How fascinating.

BRIGADIER: Doctor, I warn you.

SECOND DOCTOR: It's no use your asking me about all this, Brigadier. As far as I'm concerned, it hasn't happened yet. Don't you see? I'm just a temporal anomaly.

BRIGADIER: It's quite obvious to me what's happened. You've been mucking around with that infernal machine of yours.

BENTON: Be careful, sir.

BRIGADIER: You've been mucking around with that infernal machine of yours, and somehow or other you've changed back your appearance and shot poor Miss Grant off to heaven knows where.

BENTON: It's not quite as simple as that, sir, honestly.

BRIGADIER: Now that'll do, Benton. Just two things I want from you, Doctor. An effective way of controlling that stuff and the safe return of Miss Grant.

BENTON: What about our Doctor, sir? Don't you want him back?

BRIGADIER: Enough of that nonsense, Benton. I've got him back. As long as he does the job, he can wear what face he likes.

SECOND DOCTOR: Well, I'll do my best, but I can't make any promises.

BRIGADIER: In that case, you'd better consult those all-powerful superiors of yours for their advice.

SECOND DOCTOR: Oh, I don't think that'd do any good. At the moment they're far from being all-powerful. That's why it's been left up to me and me and me.

BACK ON GALLIFREY

CHANCELLOR: What's happening?

TIME LORD: It's draining our power as fast as we pump it in, sir.

CHANCELLOR: Yet you continue to waste the power we so urgently need. What is more, by permitting the Doctor to meet his other selves, you have transgressed the first and most important law of time.

TIME LORD: I know that, your Excellency, but this is an emergency.

CHANCELLOR: No emergency can justify this transgression. This operation must stop immediately.

PRESIDENT: On the contrary, it must continue. The Doctor is our only hope. There is no one else.

CHANCELLOR: I could wish for more hope than that.

PRESIDENT: Your Excellency, you have said yourself we are dealing with a threat from an area over which even we have no control. A black hole in space. The universe of antimatter. Unknown forces at least equal and opposite to our own.

CHANCELLOR: But the first law of time must be obeyed!

PRESIDENT: It will be obeyed, later. For the moment the Doctor needs all the help he can get. We can't stop now. Transporting his other selves across the time stream has already utilised more energy than we can afford.

CHANCELLOR: Criminal irresponsibility.

PRESIDENT: They have only a limited time together, and if they do not succeed we shall lose our time travel facility and become as vulnerable as those we are pledged to protect.

CHANCELLOR: You would do better to husband your resources, not throw them away on what is no more than a dangerous gamble.

PRESIDENT: I am prepared to take that risk.

CHANCELLOR: I understand your attempt to transport yet one more Doctor has met with only limited success.

PRESIDENT: His transportation unit became trapped in a time eddy. At the moment he can do no more than advise, but the second Doctor is assisting UNIT to help with matters on Earth.

CHANCELLOR: I see. And the other?

PRESIDENT: He, together with his companion, has passed into the black hole. They are over the absolute event horizon.

CHANCELLOR: Theoretically, they're dead.

EXT. PLANET SURFACE

THIRD DOCTOR: Jo? Jo? Can you hear me? Jo, wake up.

JO: Where are we? Everything seems so strange.

THIRD DOCTOR: Are you all right?

JO: We're not?

THIRD DOCTOR: Jo.

JO: We are, aren't we. We're dead.

THIRD DOCTOR: This is a place. It's just like any other place. Well, almost. We've been brought here. Anyway, it's not much like heaven, is it. Come on, let's go and take a look around.

(They walk away, and we look up to see a gell guard lingering on the cliff above.)

EXT. UNIT LABORATORT

SECOND DOCTOR: So wherever they are, Miss Grant and my other self, we can't contact them. That's the problem with antimatter. You can see the effect but never the cause. It's like being punched on the nose by the invisible man.

BRIGADIER: Then what's this stuff?

SECOND DOCTOR: The invisible man. Antimatter.

BRIGADIER: But I thought you said that matter and antimatter couldn't meet without an expl*si*n.

SECOND DOCTOR: Yes, that's right.

BRIGADIER: So, it shouldn't exist here, but it does.

SECOND DOCTOR: Yes. Awkward, isn't it? As far as I can see, there's only one explanation.

BRIGADIER: Yes?

SECOND DOCTOR: Well, this stuff, or whoever sent it, is cleverer than we are. Unfortunate, isn't it.

BRIGADIER: And there's nothing that even you can do?

SECOND DOCTOR: Oh, I wouldn't say that. We can make sure it stays harmless for a start.

BRIGADIER: Oh, that's a relief. Look, can I leave you to get on with that? Those other things are still outside there. I must contact Geneva.

(The Brigadier leaves.)

BENTON: Doc, I think the strain's been a bit too much for him. What are we going to do now?

SECOND DOCTOR: Keep it confused. Feed it with useless information. I wonder if I have a television set handy.

EXT. PLANET SURFACE

THIRD DOCTOR: That's odd.

JO: Hey, surely that's the water cooler from outside the lab.

THIRD DOCTOR: Yes.

JO: And what's this?

THIRD DOCTOR: Well, that's the Brigadier's computer.

JO: Oh.

THIRD DOCTOR: Look, this is the lab door.

JO: It's locked.

THIRD DOCTOR: Well, it says No Admittance.

(They walk on.)

THIRD DOCTOR: Yes. Well, we both know what that is, don't we?

JO: Sure do.

THIRD DOCTOR: Er, Jo, do you see what I see?

JO: Oh, yes!

THIRD DOCTOR: That clinches it. We have been transported, and so has all this stuff. Come on.

(They walk down the rocky path toward a waiting Bessie. Then they climb in.)

THIRD DOCTOR: Right. All we've got to do is find out where we are and who brought us here.

JO: Right, come on then.

THIRD DOCTOR: Where to?

JO: Twice round the park?

THIRD DOCTOR: Right.

JO: Right.

(He puts Bessie in gear and backs up, then puts it in forward and drives off, with a gell guard looming in the foreground. A crazy angle shows us the car as it stops and they get out again. The investigate some footprints in the dirt.)

THIRD DOCTOR: Man Friday, would you believe?

JO: At the moment, I'd believe anything.

THIRD DOCTOR: Come on.

(They set off to follow the prints, and Arthur Ollis peers over a ridge.)

INT. UNIT LABORATORY

(The Doctor is crouching with Benton behind a parabolic microphone or similar device, listening to the blob making its crackling sound.)

SECOND DOCTOR: It's quite like old time, eh, Sergeant?

BENTON: Yes, it is, isn't it. Is it ready yet?

SECOND DOCTOR: Hmm? Oh, nearly ready for testing.

BENTON: Look, Doc, why don't we give this great big blancmange the full treatment now?

SECOND DOCTOR: Now steady on, Sergeant.

BRIGADIER: Right, come on, Doctor. Security Council want an explanation and I'm leaving it all up to you.

SECOND DOCTOR: Oh, no.

BRIGADIER: They're on video in my office.

SECOND DOCTOR: But won't they think it strange? I mean, me?

BRIGADIER: I've explained all that. You're his assistant.

SECOND DOCTOR: His what!

BRIGADIER: I decided the truth was too much for them. Assistant it will have to be. Well?

SECOND DOCTOR: Well, I've just set this thing up! Now I won't be able to confuse it!

BRIGADIER: No doubt. It seems to be your forte, Doctor, confusing people. You're sure that thing's all right?

SECOND DOCTOR: Yes, as quiet as a lamb. We've got it thoroughly subdued, haven't we, Sergeant.

BENTON: We haven't tested it.

BRIGADIER: All right then, Benton, you'd better keep an eye on it.

BENTON: Me, sir?

BRIGADIER: Yes, you.

SECOND DOCTOR: Oh, very well. Here you are, Sergeant, you'll need this. Now if it gives the slightest trouble, a little dose of that will settle it.

BENTON: Yes, but say that doesn't work, Doctor?

SECOND DOCTOR: Then give it the lot! Come on, Brigadier.

(The Doctor leaves with the Brigadier. Benton stands a little worried, then pops a piece of chewing gum in his mouth.)

BENTON: Now you're not going to give me any trouble, are you, okay?

(He throws the chewing gum wrapper at it and turns away. It bristles, and Benton backs up alarmed. It continues bristling, and Benton takes the control and activates the device. It appears to have no effect.)

BENTON: Doctor? Doctor, are you there?

(He continues using the device to no effect.)

BENTON: Doctor! Doctor! Doctor!

SECOND DOCTOR: What is it? Oh!

BRIGADIER: Benton, what have you done?

BENTON: I did what the Doctor told me, sir, but it wouldn't work. It's gone mad.

SECOND DOCTOR: Into the TARDIS, quickly! Come on, Brigadier!

(A bright flash, but they've made it into the TARDIS.)

INT. TARDIS

SECOND DOCTOR: Yes, it's quite cozy, isn't it? Oh, you'll soon get used to it, old chap. Relative dimensions and all that.

BRIGADIER: So this is what you've been doing with UNIT funds and equipment all this time. How's it done? Some sort of optical illusion?

SECOND DOCTOR: Oh, no, no, no. They come like this. Really.

BRIGADIER: Yeah.

BENTON: Hey, Doc, it's going berserk out there.

SECOND DOCTOR: Yes, it is, isn't it.

BRIGADIER: All right, now we're in here, what do we do?

SECOND DOCTOR: Oh, we have a think. Care for a jelly baby?

BACK IN THE BLACK HOLE

TYLER: E equals MC squared. There's no doubt about that. But if you equate gravitation with acceleration, I must have travelled faster than the speed of light. That's impossible. By definition, the light here must be travelling backwards, but I can still see.

JO: Who's that?

THIRD DOCTOR: It's Doctor Tyler. Doctor Tyler!

TYLER: Huh? Why, it's the Doctor, isn't it? And Miss Grant.

JO: How did you get here?

TYLER: Well, I was in your lab, developing that plate, and there was some kind of an expl*si*n and here I am. Oh, it's fascinating.

JO: Do you know where we are, Doctor Tyler?

TYLER: No, I don't. Do you, Doctor?

THIRD DOCTOR: Yes. We're at the other end of that light streak of yours.

TYLER: What?

THIRD DOCTOR: We've been transported along it.

TYLER: That's in the black hole.

THIRD DOCTOR: Yes, exactly. That's where we are. On a stable world in a universe of antimatter. An anomaly within an impossibility.

JO: Huh?

TYLER: What he means is that a place like this shouldn't exist in a cosmos like this, and even if it does, we shouldn't be here anyway. I think.

JO: Oh.

THIRD DOCTOR: Well, here we are. Kidnapped and marooned. But by whom?

INT. THRONE ROOM

(They are being watched on a screen by someone.)

OMEGA: At last, a Time Lord within my power. Let my guests be brought into my presence.

(The gell guard moves.)

EXT. PLANET SURFACE

THIRD DOCTOR: Well, these things sound very much like the creatures that att*cked us at UNIT HQ.

JO: Yeah.

THIRD DOCTOR: What exactly did they look like?

(Dr Tyler sees a gell guard over the ridge.)

TYLER: Like that.

THIRD DOCTOR: Run!

(The gell guards fire, and explosions ring the travelers. They hold their hands up and surrender. Mr Ollis watches from nearby.)

INT. TARDIS

BRIGADIER: Doctor, will you open this door?

BENTON: It's still thrashing about out there, sir.

SECOND DOCTOR: Yes, it is, isn't it. My little plan seems to have misfired. I seem to have accentuated its metabolic rate

BRIGADIER: Doctor!

SECOND DOCTOR: Most unfortunate. It shouldn't have happened. Now, what went wrong?

BRIGADIER: Will you let me out of this contraption!

SECOND DOCTOR: The beam should have desensitised. Of course, you fool. It's antimatter! The opposite effect! Instead of quietening down, I've stimulated it.

BRIGADIER: Will you stop nattering?

SECOND DOCTOR: You haven't seen my recorder anywhere, have you? It's a little thing about this long with holes in. I had it when I came in and I put it down somewhere and I can't find it.

BRIGADIER: For the last time, will you let me out of this madhouse!

SECOND DOCTOR: There's no point.

BRIGADIER: I'm sorry, Doctor, but I'm afraid I must insist. My place is with the men out there, trying to do something about this, well, whatever it is out there, not standing around here messing about looking for some damn fool flute!

SECOND DOCTOR: Brigadier, I cannot open that door without first turning off the force field, and even if I did, you'd never make it across the floor. That thing out there has become a k*ller. It's my fault and I'm sorry.

BRIGADIER: Sorry?

SECOND DOCTOR: All we can do now is think, and I think best to music. Now, where is my recorder?

INT. OMEGA'S LAIR

(The gell guard is following the travelers.)

JO: It looks like Aladdin's cave.

THIRD DOCTOR: It's the entrance to some sort of palace, I should imagine.

TYLER: I wonder who it belongs to?

THIRD DOCTOR: I've no idea, but I expect we'll soon find out.

JO: I'm not sure that I really want to.

TYLER: Whoever had us brought here doesn't mean us much good.

JO: I have a feeling you might be right.

TYLER: And I don't fancy hanging around to meet him. I'm going to try and make a break for it.

THIRD DOCTOR: What?

INT. TARDIS

BRIGADIER: Corporal Palmer, this is the Brigadier. Do you read me? Over.

SECOND DOCTOR: You're wasting your time. You'll never get through with the force field on.

BRIGADIER: I've got to find out what's going on out there.

SECOND DOCTOR: Let's have a look at this thing.

SECOND DOCTOR: I'll try to set you up a communications unit.

BRIGADIER: Be careful.

SECOND DOCTOR: It's all right. Don't worry. I can boost this through the TARDIS's communication circuit. I think.

BRIGADIER: Oh, I give up.

BENTON: With respect, sir, aren't we wasting time?

BRIGADIER: Yes, we are.

SECOND DOCTOR: Are you still worried about your other Doctor, Sergeant?

BENTON: Well, yes, I am, and Miss Grant.

SECOND DOCTOR: Well, I shouldn't worry too much if I were you. In fact, I rather envy them.

BENTON: You what?

SECOND DOCTOR: Yes, I think they're having a very interesting time.

INT. OMEGA'S LAIR

TYLER: The time to make a getaway is now, while we're still near the entrance. Once they get us down that maze of passageways we shall never get out.

THIRD DOCTOR: My dear Doctor Tyler, I don't want to get out. I want to meet our host. I allowed myself to be brought here for that very purpose.

TYLER: Perhaps you did, Doctor, but we didn't want to come here and we don't want to stay.

THIRD DOCTOR: Don't you understand? You were both brought here by accident. Your only chance of getting back lies in my persuading whoever brought you here to send you home.

TYLER: I prefer to take a chance on my own. How about you, Miss Grant? Are you coming with me?

JO: No. No, I'll stick with the Doctor, thank you.

TYLER: Looks like I'll have to go on my own then.

THIRD DOCTOR: Doctor Tyler, you're not going anywhere.

TYLER: What?

THIRD DOCTOR: I refuse to allow you to endanger all our lives.

TYLER: No. No, I suppose you're right.

(He gets a very obvious look on his face, then makes a dash for it.)

THIRD DOCTOR: Tyler! Tyler, come back! Tyler!

(A gell guard blocks the Doctor from giving chase. Tyler creeps along the corridor.)

THIRD DOCTOR: Idiot. He'll jeopardise the entire operation.

JO: With his life, probably.

THIRD DOCTOR: Yes.

JO: They might not harm him. You said we were only here by mistake.

THIRD DOCTOR: Yes, that's right, Jo. I'm the one they're after. I'm sure I can persuade our host to send you back.

JO: But supposing you can't? Well, they might just get rid of us.

(Tyler continues his random escape attempt through the passageways, gell guards everywhere.)

THIRD DOCTOR: Jo, we're dealing here with a creature of great intelligence, and superior intelligence and senseless cruelty just do not go together.

JO: Oh, I hope you're right.

(Tyler comes tumbling back into their area.)

JO: Tyler!

THIRD DOCTOR: Tyler! Come on, get up. Up, up. Are you all right?

TYLER: Yes, I think so. Thanks. That was a bit of a waste of time, wasn't it.

INT. TARDIS

(The Brigadier paces.)

SECOND DOCTOR: Here we are, Brigadier. Have a try with that.

(He approaches with trepidation.)

SECOND DOCTOR: It's all right, it won't bite you.

BRIGADIER: Corporal Palmer? Come in, Palmer.

(Nothing but static. The Doctor takes the microphone and bashes it against the console.)

PALMER (OOV): Corporal Palmer here. Over.

BRIGADIER: Corporal Palmer, this is the Brigadier. Now listen. We're pinned down in the laboratory. What's the situation there? Over.

PALMER (OOV): Ah, sir, we've been trying to reach you. The building is still surrounded but we're just standing by for further orders. Over.

BRIGADIER: Now listen, Palmer. I want every man to maintain vigilance, but no further offensive action, is that clear? Over.

PALMER (OOV): But sir, I thought

BRIGADIER: That's an order, Palmer!

PALMER (OOV): Roger, sir. Wilco.

BRIGADIER: Keep in contact. Out.

BENTON: Doc.

SECOND DOCTOR: Hmm?

BENTON: Hey, Doctor, it's the old boy.

SECOND DOCTOR: Oh, excuse me.

FIRST DOCTOR (on scanner): Made any progress?

SECOND DOCTOR: No, none at all. And you?

FIRST DOCTOR: Hardly. I'm trapped in this infernal time eddy.

SECOND DOCTOR: What about our fellow Time Lords?

FIRST DOCTOR (on scanner): Growing steadily weaker. They can't seem to check their energy loss.

SECOND DOCTOR: We can't help you, I'm afraid.

FIRST DOCTOR (on scanner): Oh yes, you could.

SECOND DOCTOR: Oh? How?

FIRST DOCTOR (on scanner): Well, first turn off your force field.

SECOND DOCTOR: What? But I don't

FIRST DOCTOR (on scanner): Off, I said.

SECOND DOCTOR: But I still don't see

FIRST DOCTOR: Oh, use your intelligence.

(He fades from the screen.)

BRIGADIER: Who in the name of heaven was that?

SECOND DOCTOR: I'm afraid you'd never believe me.

INT. OMEGA'S LAIR

(The prisoners are led on by a gell guard.)

TYLER: It still doesn't make sense, Doctor. We are matter, and you say this place is antimatter.

THIRD DOCTOR: That's right.

TYLER: So, the mere fact of our being here should cause a colossal expl*si*n.

THIRD DOCTOR: Yes, well, our bodies have been converted, processed in some ways, so that we can exist here.

JO: Just as that organism thing could exist in our world?

THIRD DOCTOR: Yes, exactly.

TYLER: I just don't believe it. This is matter. I can see it. Why, I can feel it.

THIRD DOCTOR: But things aren't always as they seem, you know, Doctor Tyler. Now, you take this pencil, for example.

TYLER: It's just a pencil, isn't it?

THIRD DOCTOR: Ah, but is it? Watch very, very closely.

(He performs a magic trick with stupid noises, turning the pencil into a bunch of flowers.)

THIRD DOCTOR: Or is it a bunch of flowers?

TYLER: Ah ha, that's all very well, but that's just a conjuring trick.

THIRD DOCTOR: Yes, that's exactly what this place is, a scientific conjuring trick of a very high order. I think the waiting is over.

(The gell guards lead them in.)

INT. TARDIS

BRIGADIER: You're not going to turn off the force field?

SECOND DOCTOR: Yes, I think so.

BRIGADIER: But why?

SECOND DOCTOR: Because he told me to, and I've always had a great respect for his advice.

BENTON: Doctor, if you switch the force field off, that thing out there can get at the TARDIS.

SECOND DOCTOR: Precisely! Hold tight, everyone.

(He slams down on the switch on the console. Outside, the gell guards vanish abruptly, to the amazement of the UNIT soldiers.)

`
DOCTOR WHO

Jon Pertwee

DOCTOR WHO

Patrick Troughton

DOCTOR WHO

William Hartnell

JO GRANT

Katy Manning

BRIGADIER LETHBRIDGE-STEWART

Nicholas Courtney

SARGENT BENTON