06x07 - Working For the Weekend

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Degrassi Next Generation." Aired: October 2001 to July 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

About the kids at Degrassi Community School. Centralizing around the children of the original characters from Degrassi High (1987). The show aims to deal with serious and sometimes taboo issues that plague teenagers.

06x07 - Working For the Weekend

Post by bunniefuu »

At Spinner’s locker

Darcy: Spinner?

Spinner: Hey Darce.

Darcy: You know what happened between me and you, the break up… I’m really sorry.

Spinner: Me too. More than anything in the world.

Darcy: It, it was the right thing to do. There was something missing. I’m sorry. I hope we can be friends.

(The bell rings and Spinner goes to class.)

Mr. Simpson: Oh Spinner Mason. Just under the wire. Oh and here is our very special guidance counsellor, Ms. Sauvé. Why don’t you all open up your career aptitude tests.

Ms. Sauvé: If nothing else, the results may help to inform what universities you apply to and what majors you choose.

(Jimmy opens up his results online.)

Jimmy: Criminal lawyer, right!

Ashley: Family law for me. NYU here we come.

Jimmy: I know. I think we’re gonna have to open a practice together. Downtown Manhattan, family and criminal law.

(Spinner sees that his top result says clown.)

Spinner: Clown. I’m supposed to be a clown?

Ms. Sauvé: Well remember this is just a guide, okay? It’s important that you find something that you’re passionate about.

(Spinner looks at his second choice.)

Spinner: Like being a cop. Oh yeah. Get right on that.

In the hallway

Jimmy: Ah pull it together man. I can’t have a basket case thwarting my year.

(Spinner pulls out a poem he wrote.)

Spinner: She said there would always be an us and she crushed my heart with a bus. I pledged abstinence and faith ‘cause she said t’was forever. Now it’s just me.

Jimmy: T’was. Are you sure uh poet wasn’t in your test results?

Spinner: Didn’t see artist in yours. What happened to the whole art dream?

Jimmy: I woke up. Art isn’t a career. Law is.

Spinner: Yeah so is being a clown I guess.

Ashley: You know Spin, Paige is in town. Marco and Ellie are having some people over. You should come.

Spinner: Nah I don’t know.

Jimmy: Wrong. You’re not sitting home another night writing these sad-ass, wah wah, I’m gonna k*ll myself poems. I forbid you. Time to get on a positive tip, alright?

Spinner: Alright.

Jimmy: Great. Thank you.

Outside the school, a bunch of girls are laughing and being loud

Some girl: And the face that he was making?!

(They keep laughing and Alex glares at them.)

Alex: Zip it. I’m trying to study.

Sirina: Trying to graduate before you turn 30? Good luck.

Alex: A, I already graduated and B, do I even know you?

(Sirina throws a carrot at Alex.)

Alex: Unless you want these carrots to become part of your anatomy I suggest you stop.

(She throws another one and Alex walks over, then turns around and leaves.)

Alex: I’m officially too old for this.

At Ellie, Marco, and Dylan’s place

Marco: Okay all we have left here is rice crackers. I spent all my snack money on textbooks and I’m thinking those are kinda dry, so here.

Paige: Oh well one of the many perks at Banting, amazing meal plan. Hey that is a spiffy top Spin. Since when are you so oh current?

Spinner: Jimmy Brooks original.

Ellie: You don’t know how many people have asked me where they can get one of these designs.

Jimmy: No really?

Jesse: Really. Been thinking about selling them? Lot of money in it.

Marco: Yeah Jesse don’t even bother. I keep telling Jim to start his own line of t-shirts, but he never listens.

Jimmy: It’s ‘cause it’s crazy Marco. I’m not gonna start selling t-shirts.

Spinner: Why not? There’s nothing stopping you.

Jimmy: There’s a lot stopping me, actually.

Ashley: What, like your dad?

Jimmy: Like reality. Didn’t somebody say something about playing poker?

Paige: Oh I’m in. Thanks to too many all night poker sessions, I am a Texas Holdem whiz. Alright let’s buy in.

In the cafeteria

Spinner: Check it out! Check it out. Spimmy Designs, huh? Or The Jimner Clothing Company. Squatch Wear. I like that one.

Jimmy: Okay stop. Rewind. Losing the plot. What is this?

Spinner: This is the future baby. I’m turning you into the next John John.

Ashley: It’s Sean John.

Spinner: Potato, potato. Okay look, Jimmy people love your t-shirts man. Start a business!

Jimmy: With what money?

Spinner: I got some saved. Plus Marco’s dad could give us some shirts on spec. We make a bunch, go to campus, branch your uncle(?).

Jimmy: Do you know how much work that would take?

Spinner: Ah we could do it. You and me together. Plus when it takes off, becomes a huge money maker, I can forget all about clown academy. Jimmy you’re, you’re gonna need money for your fancy New York university, right? Let’s make some.

Jimmy: I’ve got an academic fund. I’m totally taken care of.

Spinner: Sorry.

(Spinner gets up and leaves.)

Ashley: Jimmy.

Jimmy: Then again I guess it would be cool to see more people wearing my stuff.

Spinner: Yeah?

Jimmy: Yeah. Let’s give it a sh*t.

In a classroom

(Alex finishes her exam and walks out smiling.)

Ms. Hatzilakos: Alex Nunez. Smiling after a test?

Alex: Just happy. Kinda aced it.

Ms. Hatzilakos: Congratulations. I’m proud of you. It shows a real maturity that you came back to upgrade your marks, especially after your friends moved on.

Alex: You can’t become a physiotherapist without a degree, which means I gotta up my marks if I want to get accepted anywhere. So gotta run.

Ms. Hatzilakos: You know what would really help with your university application?

Alex: Extracurriculars?

Ms. Hatzilakos: Which you don’t have.

Alex: I knew this was going somewhere.

Ms. Hatzilakos: Look I need girls for lacrosse. I mean I’m so low on players I might even have to cancel the team.

Alex: A tragedy of global proportions.

Ms. Hatzilakos: Alex you love lacrosse. I remember from gym class you’re a natural.

Alex: I am fond of bashing people with a large stick.

Ms. Hatzilakos: So you’ll think about it?

Alex: Me and team sports, sorry not a whole lot to think about Ms. H.

At Ellie, Marco and Dylan’s place

(A montage begins with Jimmy printing out the design, Spinner starts pressing the design onto the shirts, Ellie shows them a picture in the newspaper with someone wearing their shirt, Jimmy and Spinner start selling the shirts on campus until they’re sold out.)

Spinner: We can’t run this operation out of a cardboard box, eh? I’m thinking mail order pyramid scheme.

Jimmy: Or we can set up shop outside like Raptors games and concerts…

(They see a ‘for lease’ sign outside a store.)

Spinner: Or, or we let the market come to us.

Jimmy: What about rent?

Spinner: Dude I saved a cool grand working at the Dot and it’s not like I’m gonna need it for clown academy.

Jimmy: Are you serious?

Spinner: I’ve never been seriouser. What about your academic fund? Say you skim a little off the top-

Jimmy: No. My dad has been putting money into that fund since I was two years old. If I even think about touching it, I’m dead.

Spinner: Come on give your dad a little credit. He might just go for it, especially when he hears about how good we’re doing.

At the Dot

Alex: So here you are back from the magical university land of Banting, which I assume is going…

Paige: Better than perf, but what about you? Are you seeing anyone? Is she cute? Do I know her? I want all the juicy details.

Alex: Sorry can’t help you. I’m the queen of boring single, lame land. Degrassi’s all I got going on.

Paige: Well I bet you must be running that place. Are all the kiddies running scared?

Alex: Actually they’re shaking at my terrifyingly good study habits. Apparently I’m also a natural lacrosse player. Ms. H wants me to join the team.

Paige: My oh my. You on a sports team.

Alex: Ain’t gonna happen. Lacrosse is for losers.

Paige: Yeah there’s the bitter girl I know.

Alex: The bitter loner you used to know is trying to be a little sweeter these days.

Paige: Well sweetie a tiger can’t change its stripes over night.

At Ellie, Marco and Dylan’s place

(Spinner turns on some really loud music.)

Ellie: Spinner I have to read an entire novel, a Russian one.

Marco: Yeah can you guys find another place to set up shop?

Spinner: Good idea Marco. That’s funny. We just passed one on the street.

(Mr. Brooks walks into the room.)

Mr. Brooks: All set Jim?

Jimmy: Yeah.

Spinner: Dude ask him.

(Spinner turns off the music.)

Jimmy: Dad we have this little business. It’s uh these t-shirts with my designs and people are really digging the art.

Mr. Brooks: Good for you son. Not crazy about the colour, but uh put me down for one.

Jimmy: We also thought we could take it to the next level and open up a shop. Make it legit, you know?

(His dad doesn’t say anything.)

Jimmy: So I was wondering if you’d mind if I uh dipped into my academic fund?

Mr. Brooks: Son you can’t afford to chase these little dreams. The answer is no. I’ll be in the car.

Jimmy: I don’t even need my dad’s permission to access my fund. We’re gonna do this Spin. We’re gonna open this shop. Does that sound good?

Spinner: Dude that’s like, that’s like my ten favourite songs playing at the same time. Turn up to 11!

Outside the store, Spinner is passing out flyers

Spinner: Hi what’s up? Yo check out our store. It’s right behind you. Hey check it out. Guys here you go.
Inside the store

Marco: Jimmy man this is incredible.

Ashley: Well it ain’t pretty, but the customers don’t seem to mind.

Jimmy: I just cannot believe we’re making money. I mean if this thing takes off I could probably pay my own way to art school.

Ashley: Art school? What happened to pre-law, NYU?

Jimmy: I don’t know. I, I just think maybe this art thing could work out, you know? How cool would that be?

Ashley: Very cool. As long as we’re together and you’re happy. It’s all good.

(They kiss.)

Spinner: Man we are going to be famous fashion designers. Just like Ducce & Gabbana.

Marco: Yeah that’s uh Dolce & Gabbana, Spin. You know the gay fashion designers?

Spinner: Yeah, except not so gay.

Customer: You guys take debit?

Spinner: Cash only my friend.

(Spinner opens the cash box and the guy eyes it suspiciously before walking away.)

Spinner: They’ll be back.

In the gym

Ms. Hatzilakos: Okay guys that was good focus and good passing. Ah here’s our ringer. So you ready to help out the team?

Alex: Nothing I love more than giving up my weekend for the team.

Ms. Hatzilakos: Most of you probably know Alex. She graduated last year, so we are very lucky to have her back.

Alex: I can’t get enough of this place.

Ms. Hatzilakos: Okay let’s continue loosening up a little bit. Let’s do some passing drills, okay? Stay focussed guys!

Alex: Hey baby carrots. Looks like we’re team-mates.

Sirina: Doesn’t mean I have to talk to you.

At Marco, Ellie and Dylan’s place

Marco: We sold a truckload! I can’t believe this day.

Ashley: When these guys are famous, they better remember their friends.

Jimmy: Okay this should improve the snacks around here.

(Jimmy gives Marco some money.)

Marco: You didn’t have to Jimmy.

Ellie: Speak for yourself.

Jimmy: After Marco’s dad’s cut for the t-shirts, the rest is pure gravy.

Dylan: Ah not to be a killjoy, but I’ve taken some business classes. You’ve got taxes, book-keeping, insurance, overhead and hydro.

Spinner: Dude our gravy.

Jimmy: I guess we have a problem.

In the gym during a lacrosse game

Alex: sh**t it I’m open

(Sirina passes the ball to someone else.)

Sirina: Over here!

Alex: Over here!

(As it’s being passed to Alex, Sirina runs in front of her to receive the pass and knocks Alex down. Alex stands up, gets the ball and scores while everyone cheers for her.)

At the store

(Spinner picks up the phone pretending he’s on a call.)

Spinner: Ring. Squatch Designs, what can I put you down for? A hundred? Super.

Jimmy: You been busy.

Spinner: Oh you know just saving the store.

Jimmy: You doubled the prices?

Spinner: Yeah to re-coup our cost twice as fast.

Jimmy: Spin look around. You’re driving business away.

Spinner: At least I’m trying.

Jimmy: Yeah too hard. Spin look, I’ve been thinking maybe this is a bad idea. Maybe my dad was right.

Spinner: No he was wrong and we’ll see just how wrong and laugh in ten years when we are sipping cognac on our fly company yacht.

Jimmy: Spinner, wake up. There’s no yacht, okay? In tens years I will be practicing law in New York and you will be twisting balloon animals in North York.

(Spinner gives him a hurt look.)

Jimmy: Look let’s just fix these tags please and, and sell everything we have on the shelves and we’ll be done.

Spinner: No, you know what? You do it. I’m on break.

In the hallway after the game

Alex: Sirina!

Sirina: So finally remembered my name.

Alex: Ms. Hatzilakos told me. She also told me that you and I have to get along.

(She doesn’t say anything.)

Alex: So, go team go?

(Sirina starts to walk away.)

Alex: I’m trying to be nice here.

Sirina: Please. You know you’re not fooling anyone. You’re a hateful bitch Alex. That’s all you’re ever gonna be.

(Alex pushes her and Ms. Hatzilakos sees.)

Ms. Hatzilakos: Alex! My office now!

At the store

(The guys that were eying the money box come back.)

Jimmy: Hey what’s up? Feel free to look around. We’ve got some cool tees here so just ignore the prices. I’m still fixing them.

Guy: It’s not the tees that I’m interested in.

(Spinner is shown walking outside when he hears Jimmy inside the store.)

Jimmy: Hey!

(Spinner rushes inside.)

Jimmy: Spinner help!

(Spinner runs over to the guy fighting with Jimmy while the other guy runs away with the cash box.)

Spinner: You move and I break it in half.

Jimmy: I owe you one.

(Spinner holds him against the wall while Jimmy calls the police.)

Outside the school

(Alex holds a bag of baby carrots out to Sirina.)

Alex: They’re not poisoned and they make great projectiles.

(Sirina ignores her.)

Alex: I got a week’s worth detention. That should make you happy.

Sirina: You really don’t remember, do you?

Alex: Am I in the twilight zone? No, I don’t know you Sirina.

Sirina: Two years ago you almost blinded me with a laser pointer during my first and last debate or how about when you tripped me on the way to the caf? I sprained my ankle and I had to quit the team.

Alex: It wasn’t personal. You could have been anybody.

Sirina: But it was me. A real person. You made my life hell and the worst part, you don’t even remember doing it.

(She walks away while Alex looks upset.)

Outside the store

Police officer: Heck of a takedown there chief. You guys will get that vendor’s licence before you open up again?

Jimmy: Actually we uh, we won’t need it. We’re gonna close shop permanently.

Police officer: We’ll be in touch.

Spinner: You know you have no idea how lucky you are.

Jimmy: You’re right. That guy could have k*lled me.

Spinner: I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about this. Look at that design. It’s awesome. People love it. I would give anything to have what you have, Jimmy. Talent!

Jimmy: Who says you don’t? I just watched you take down some dude like Jack Bauer in there, man. That was sick. If that ain’t talent, dude…

Spinner: Yeah I guess I am a crime-fighting super stud. You’re right about that.

(Jimmy’s dad walks over to the cop.)

Mr. Brooks: Officer what’s, what’s, what’s the problem?

Police officer: Well it seems to me there was a robbery here at this location.

Jimmy: He looks pissed. Just wait ‘til I tell him where I got the money for this place. Man I am a dead man rolling.

Spinner: Dude I just faced down a robber. I think you can face down your dad.

Mr. Brooks: Thanks.

(Jimmy’s dad walks over to them.)

Mr. Brooks: Jim I’m so relieved you’re alright. Let’s get you home now, okay?

Jimmy: Okay. Dad uh just wait. We got to talk.

(Spinner smiles as he walks away.)

Scenes for next week

Voiceover: On a new episode of Degrassi, the happy couple is finally reunited.

(Sean is released from jail and him and Emma are shown hugging.)

Sean: I missed you.

Emma: I missed you too.

(Emma and Sean are having dinner together.)

Emma: Everything is perfect.

Sean: You’re perfect.

(Sean kisses Emma.)

Voiceover: But will the honeymoon last?

Emma: How do I even begin to tell him what I did with Jay in the ravine?

Sean: Did you and Jay have a thing last year?

Emma: I’m not the girl you knew in grade 7 anymore.

Jay: She damn near begged me to let her do it.

(Sean tries to hit Jay.)

END